Monday, April 14, 2008

Bruins Win Game 3

Wow. Can I say that again? Wow! The Bruins victory last night was oh, so sweet. Those of us who have followed this team closely all season know just what it took to get to this spot. I am so happy for those guys! Even if they don't win another game this year, this OT win will be one to remember and to build forward from next season. And to see Wideman go from scared witless in game 1 to that awesome backhand pass to set up the winner... well that's why I'm an avid hockey fan.

For those who didn't see the game, here's how the OT went: it opened with the ice tilted heavily toward the Bruin's end. Montreal had them on their heels and the only thing that kept them in the game was Tim Thomas standing on his head. Big save after big save. They just kept coming. And then it happened. A few players started to take the game back. Nokelainen. Schaefer. Metropolit. Those are the unsung heroes. Metro took the puck right to Price twice in a row, blasting right through a defender the second time. The momentum started to swing. And when a dump in took a huge bounce the B's charged into the offensive zone, drawing a penalty. Thomas skated off and Savvy skated on in his place and smelling blood the B's went right for the jugular. But they never would have had the chance if Thomas hadn't played like the elite goaltender he is.

Now I have to get something off my chest that I have waited a long time for: I knew this day would come. I knew it from late in the 2005/2006 season. I knew it when some jerk taunted me relentlessly when I said Thomas was an elite goaltender in every way that mattered. I knew it when the childish dolts who post at a certain "Rumors" blog adopted the mantra, "Tim Thomas is not a true No. 1 goaltender." I knew it when I read a story by some nitwit who claimed that O'Connell signed Thomas out of revenge when he realized his days were numbered. I knew it when PC picked up Fernandez this summer and many fans assumed he'd be the No. 1. I knew it all along: Tim Thomas is the best thing to happen to the Bruins in a long time. And the irony is this: Tim Thomas was the best signing Mike O'Connell ever made.

So to all of the Thomas doubters I say, "Bite me!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice article----I was at the game...about 30% Montreal ans...time to start intercepting the buses at the New Hampshire border I think

jimbuff said...

#4 those Timmy haters can bite me too and I'll say for treebob also. Timmy's the Man!!!