Thursday, April 18, 2013

Boston Strong

I awoke this morning to a radio station in Las Cruces, New Mexico, playing the audio from the national anthem at last night's Bruins game. Las Cruces is far removed from New England in every way possible, but as with the rest of the country our hearts are with the city of Boston.

Many more people should have died at the Boston Marathon, if not for the professionalism, preparedness, and skill of the emergency services of Boston and the northeast in general. As we saw with the hurricane last fall, they are truly the best of the best.

I didn't stay a Bruins fan since 1972 because of all the cups the team has won since then. I've held the Bruins close to my heart because they are a reflection of the city they represent. I respect and admire the humanity, humility, and unpretentious, hard-working determination. When people around the world think of Americans, too many think of an arrogant, self-righteous, stetson-wearing cowboy. But that's not who we really are, nor is it the source of our strength. If you want to know who we truly are as Americans, look no further than the people of Boston.

Even though I only visit New England from time to time, the Bruins have given me a life-long connection to the region. I am proud to be associated with the people of Boston, if only in a small way.

No comments: